Beetroot soup is a fabulous colour as well as being nutritious and delicious. Blend everything together before serving if you prefer smooth soup.
- 1 onion
- 1 large beetroot
- 1 large potato
- 50g dairy-free butter, we use Pure Sunflower
- 1 tbsp plain flour, gluten-free if you prefer
- 1-litre beef or chicken stock, hot
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Dairy-free crème fraiche (optional)
1. Peel and finely dice (about 2cm) the onion, beetroot and potato.
2. Melt the dairy-free butter and add the onion.
3. Sweat gently for a few minutes.
4. Add the potato and beetroot and stir well to combine.
5. After two or three minutes, stir in the flour, and again, stir well to combine and cook the flour. Add the heated stock and tomato paste. Simmer gently until the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
6. Season to taste.
7. Serve with a swirl of dairy-free crème fraiche, if using.
**Always check the ingredients of any food you’re cooking with to make sure it doesn’t contain something you or your child should avoid.