Create a slightly healthier bowl of nachos for family movie night by toning down the cheese, ditching the sour cream and serving with lots of crunchy diced peppers, avocado, tomato, coriander, and lime. Substitute some of the peppers for sweetcorn if you have it to hand.
- Large bag of your preferred nacho chips
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1-2 handfuls of your preferred free-from-cheese or cheddar, grated
- 2 avocados
- 1 punnet of tomatoes (any variety)
- Small bunch coriander
- 1 lime
Takes 15 minutes
- Heat your oven or grill to medium. Line baking sheets with parchment, top with nacho chips and then add diced peppers and a little grated cheddar.
- Cook until the cheese is melted and golden and the chips are starting to brown at the edges.
- Top with diced avocado and tomato, scatter over chopped coriander and serve with lime to squeeze over.
This recipe is from Emily Kerrigan, a registered nutritionist and food writer. A mum of two, she’s a regular contributor to BBC Good Food’s Family and Kids content, as well as writing health features. Emily cooks fresh, simple meals for, and often with, her children – check out her recipes on @nutritiousfamilyfood.
**Always check the ingredients of any food you’re cooking to make sure it doesn’t contain something you or your child should avoid.