Tarragon is an aromatic herb with a distinctive flavour. It is part of the sunflower family, which may be why this dish brings a smile to our faces?! It’s an ideal mid-week supper as you can make it in advance, just add the cabbage when you heat it up before serving so that it is still fresh and a vibrant green.
It’s delicious with mashed potato.
- 200g lardons
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp dried tarragon
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large red pepper, sliced
- 2 massive mushrooms, sliced
- 750ml chicken stock
- 1/2 small cabbage chopped
1. Fry the lardons in a pan. The fat in the lardons will render down so you do not need to add oil to the pan. When this has happened, add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is soft.
2. Add the chicken, red pepper, mushrooms, tarragon and stock and season with pepper. Give it all a good stir.
3. Let it bubble gently on the hob at medium heat with the lid on for 35 mins or until the chicken is completely cooked.
4. Stir in the cabbage and let this cook with the lid off for another 5 minutes.
Team Tip: You can add a dollop of mustard and crème fraiche (dairy-free if nec) at the end if you can tolerate them.
**Always check the ingredients of any food you’re cooking with to make sure it doesn’t contain something you or your child should avoid.