To our mind, nothing beats a handmade gift and these are perfect for little hands (with some help) to make as Valentine’s Day treat or, frankly, any day of the year.
- About 15 strawberries at room temperature, ideally with stalks on, as this will make the strawberries easier to hold when dipping.
- 300g dairy-free chocolate (we used Nomo Deliciously Creamy Choc Bar but dark chocolate is also delicious)
- Dry the strawberries using kitchen paper or a dry cloth. At the same time lift the leaves slightly by gently twisting them around the stalk so they don’t get covered in chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate. One way to do this is to find a bowl that will fit on top of your saucepan. Half fill the saucepan with water and bring to a simmer. Place the bowl on top. The bottom of the bowl should not touch the water. Break the chocolate into pieces and place in the bowl. The steam from the water will melt the chocolate. (Alternatively use a microwave!)
- While the chocolate is melting, line a tray that will fit in your fridge or a cool place with baking paper.
- When the chocolate is melted, dip the strawberries individually in the chocolate, about three-quarters of the way up. If you don’t have stalks to hold, cocktail sticks will also work.
- Remove the strawberry from the chocolate with a twisting motion to shake off any excess chocolate.
- Place the chocolate-coated strawberries on the baking parchment until set.
- Enjoy! You will need to eat them within the next day before the strawberries go mushy.
**Always check the ingredients of any food you’re cooking with to make sure it doesn’t contain something you or your child should avoid.