This base recipe from Jen’s aunt Gill is ready for you to personalise with anything you fancy: you can add dried fruit, nuts, seeds muesli, coconut and experiment with different brown sugars and even swap the golden syrup for black treacle. Gill recommends undercooking rather than overcooking because she prefers her flapjacks to be chewier but if you prefer them to be crunchier, cook for a bit longer.
- 340g dairy-free spread
- 340g dark sugar
- 450g oats
- 2tbsp golden syrup
- Preheat the oven to 175C and line a tin with baking parchment.
- Melt the spread in a saucepan. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved and thick.
- Take the saucepan off the stove, stir in the syrup and add the oats and any other ingredients.
- Press the mixture into the lined tin and pop it into the oven.
- Cook in the oven for about 15 mins and reduce the oven temperature to 170C and cook for another 5 mins.
- Cut the flapjack into individual portions while it is still hot then leave the flapjack to cool completely in the tin.
**Always check the ingredients of any food you’re cooking with to make sure it doesn’t contain something you or your child should avoid.