As well as all the chocolate, Easter wouldn’t be Easter without Hot Cross Buns. We know that it can be hard to find egg-free and dairy-free ones in the shops, so why not try this recipe? It’s a good one to get the kids involved with too.
150ml dairy-free milk (we used Oatly)
50g dairy-free spread (we used Pure)
zest of 1 orange (optional)
400g strong white bread flour
1 x 7g packet of easy-blend yeast
150g mixed dried fruit
1tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground ginger100
g apple puree (we used 1 pot of Cow & Gate apple & pear puree which is a bit less than 100g)
Ingredients for the top of the hot cross buns:
- 3 tbsp apricot jam
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
1. Warm the dairy-free milk, dairy-free spread and orange zest (if using) in a saucepan until the spread melts. Leave to cool until you can keep your clean finger in comfortably while you count to 15.
2. Put the flour, yeast, spices and dried fruit into a bowl. Add the milk and the apple puree.
3. Knead the dough until it comes together and forms a ball – this is much easier if you have a machine with a dough hook!
4. Put the dough into a bowl, cover with clingfilm and put in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size. This will take about 2 hours.
5. Knock the dough back by kneading it again. Divide the mixture into 16 balls and put on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover with a tea towel and leave to prove for 45 mins.
6. Meanwhile, warm the apricot jam in a saucepan so that it is runny enough to spread on the top of the buns and mix the flour, sugar and water in a bowl to form a thick paste.
7. Preheat the oven to 220ºC/200ºC (fan)
8. Use the back of a teaspoon to glaze the buns with apricot jam.
9. Use another teaspoon to ‘draw’ the crosses across the top of the bun.
10. Bake the buns in the oven for 15 mins or until golden brown.
11. Meanwhile dissolve 2 tablespoons of sugar with 2 tablespoons of water in a saucepan over low heat to make a glaze.
12. When the buns are cooked, remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack and brush with the glaze.
13. Leave to cool and enjoy or toast them.
You might like to serve them with some Strawberry and Chia Seed Jam.
**Always check the ingredients of any food you’re cooking with to make sure it doesn’t contain something you or your child should avoid.