As the nights are drawing in, this lovely soup is perfect to see you through Autumn and into the winter months. Simple, delicious and can be entirely plant-based it’s a winner for the whole family.
- 2 large tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 medium leeks (about 450g), trimmed leeks and sliced into rounds
- 2 large baking potatoes (about 375g), peeled and cut into a small dice
- 1-litre chicken or vegetable stock, or water, hot
- 4 tbsp chopped chives, to serve
- Heat the oil and add the leeks. Put the lid on and cook on a gentle heat until the leeks are soft but not coloured. Stir occasionally to stop them from burning.
- Add the potatoes and then the hot stock. Cook until the vegetables are soft enough to puree – you’ll know they are ready if the back of a knife cuts through the potato.
- Allow to cool slightly, then puree. Thin with some more stock or water, if required. Season to taste and add a sprinkle of chives before serving.
- Team Tip: To make a creamier soup, add some milk to thin the soup in the last step and/or add sour cream at the end. Dairy-free milk and sour cream will work just as well.
**Always check the ingredients of any food you’re cooking with to make sure it doesn’t contain something you or your child should avoid.