This is a delicious dish of layered chopped potato, vegetables and meat in a tomato sauce. There is no béchamel sauce as you would find in a traditional moussaka, but we don’t think it needs it. We suggest that you make these in individual ramekins, or other small ovenproof dishes, as they are easier to layer up neatly and you can freeze any that you don’t need. This is nice served with wilted spinach.
Makes 4 portions
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 60 minutes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 200g minced lamb
- 1 echalion shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 medium Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 1 courgette, finely diced
- 1 medium aubergine, finely diced
- 4 fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 300ml passata
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- In a small frying pan, heat the oil over a medium to high heat. Add the lamb mince and allow it to brown. Try not to move it about in the pan too much to allow the meat to get a nice colour, which will give a better flavour to the dish.
- Add the shallot and red pepper. Cook until they just start to soften, which will take a couple of minutes, then add the garlic and cinnamon and give everything a good stir.
- Set out four 10cm ramekins on a baking sheet. Add a thin layer of the lamb to the bottom of each ramekin, then add layers of the chopped potato, courgette, aubergine and small sprinkles of the oregano. Keep layering up the ramekins until they are nearly full.
- Add 75ml of passata to the top of each ramekin, then top with water until it nearly touches the rim of the ramekin. Lift the baking tray of ramekins into the oven, and let them cook for 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and golden and the liquid has reduced to a thick sauce.
- Cool the moussakas before serving.
If not allergic, add some grated cheese on top before serving.
From The Allergy-Free Baby & Toddler Cookbook: 100 delicious recipes free from dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soya, gluten, sesame and shellfish by Fiona Heggie and Ellie Lux.
You can buy it here.
**Always check the ingredients of any food you’re cooking with to make sure it doesn’t contain something you or your child should avoid.