Most kids love Chinese cuisine, perhaps because of the sweetness, and this is a simple dish that is delicious served with a little portion of rice. It is extremely quick to rustle up, with ingredients we normally have in the fridge.
Makes 2 portions
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
- ½ tbsp cornflour
- 60ml fresh orange juice
- 20ml fresh lemon juice
- 50ml cold water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 spring onions, lower parts chopped and green tops discarded
- 50g pork fillet, sliced into thin strips
- ½ yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 8 mangetout, sliced
- 4 baby sweetcorns, sliced in half lengthways
- In a small bowl, measure out the cornflour and add the orange juice, lemon juice and water, stirring to combine, then set aside until step 3.
- In a frying pan or wok, heat the oil over a high heat and then add the spring onions and pork and give everything a good stir. Add the yellow pepper, mangetout and baby sweetcorns, and keep everything moving around the pan or wok.
- After a few more minutes – when the chicken is just cooked through – add the cornflour and juice mixture. It will bubble and thicken very quickly and create a thick sauce.
- Remove from the heat when the sauce nicely coats the pork and vegetables, then serve.
The Allergy-Free Baby & Toddler Cookbook: 100 delicious recipes free from dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soya, gluten, sesame and shellfish by Fiona Heggie and Ellie Lux.
Follow this link to buy it.
**Always check the ingredients of any food you’re cooking with to make sure it doesn’t contain something you or your child should avoid.