Indonesian food can be a tricky option for families living with food allergies as nuts, soy and sesame are used in abundance. But luckily Maya Monterio – one half of Indonesian street food business Kaki Lima London – has created some delicious allergy-friendly recipes for us.
Sate (or satay) is popular throughout South East Asia. Indonesia itself is said to be home to over 250 varieties! Serve with rice, cucumber slices and your favourite dipping sauce.
- 450g diced chicken, pork or beef (vegetarians and vegans can use mushrooms, tofu or tempeh, but please be aware that tofu and tempeh contain soy)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 tsp tamarind paste (or lemon juice)
- 4 tsp palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Extra vegetable oil, for brushing
- Mix ingredients together and leave to chill for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Thread onto skewers, brush with oil, and grill, oven bake or BBQ until cooked through and lightly charred.
**Always check the ingredients of any food you’re cooking with to make sure it doesn’t contain something you or your child should avoid.