This is a great recipe to have up your sleeve for those days when you are not sure what to make but know you need to have something on the table quickly! It will be ready in as much time as it takes to boil some pasta.
You can make this sauce in batches and keep it in the fridge, so you are always halfway to a meal.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch of dried flaked chilli (optional)
- 2 tbsp of tomato puree
- 2 tins of tomatoes
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion, put the lid on and cook until the onion is soft.
- Add the crushed garlic, dried oregano and chilli, if using, and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree and add the tin of tomatoes.
- Simmer the sauce on low heat. The longer the sauce cooks, the more mellow the flavour but make sure you cook it for at least 5 mins.
- You can eat this as it is or make the sauce smooth by using a blender.
Team tip: use this as a base to add other vegetables too – for example, a handful of spinach at the end or some grated carrot when the onion is cooking.
Team tip: you can also use this sauce as the base for your own pizza. You may just need to cook it for a bit longer so that the sauce is less wet.
**Always check the ingredients of any food you’re cooking with to make sure it doesn’t contain something you or your child should avoid.