A classic dish that’s so versatile and counts for several of your five-a-day! Slow cooking on medium to low heat makes the most of the flavours. It is another versatile dish. Enjoy!
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 500g aubergine
- 2-3 red peppers
- Sprig of thyme or ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 500g courgette
- 500g tomatoes
- Cut the onion, aubergine, peppers, courgettes and tomatoes into small (about 1.5cm) dice.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan. Turn the heat down to medium/low. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Put the lid on and let them cook gently, without browning the onion. It’ll take about 15-20 mins. Don’t rush – you want the onions to be so soft that there is no crunch left when you try a bit. Add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the aubergine and pepper. Stir to coat in oil. If it looks a bit dry, add a tablespoon or two of olive oil. Cover with a lid until they begin to soften – the aubergine will have darkened in colour. This will take about 15-20 mins. Stir occasionally to stop the bottom of the pan burning – but not too much as you want the ingredients to keep their shape! ⠀
- Add the thyme. ⠀
- Stir in the courgette and tomato. Season with salt and pepper. ⠀
- Cook steadily on medium heat with the lid off until the wateriness disappears. ⠀
- Serve hot, warm or cold garnished with parsley or basil and maybe some olives. Before serving, remove the thyme stalk, if used.⠀
**Always check the ingredients of any food you’re cooking with to make sure it doesn’t contain something you or your child should avoid.