Find comfort in a bowl with this old-fashioned pudding, especially when it is cold outside. You do need to use short-grain rice and take it out of the oven before all the milk has absorbed, so that it is still creamy. It really couldn’t be simpler to make.
850ml dairy-free milk (we used Oatly)
30g granulated sugar
130g short-grain rice (sometimes sold as “pudding rice” and often in the pudding, not the rice section of the supermarket!)
Zest of a small lemon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Heat the dairy-free milk and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to the boil
- Put the rice and the lemon zest, if using, in a large dish and pour the boiling milk over the top.
- Put the dish in the oven and bake until the top of the pudding has golden skin, the rice is soft and most (but not all) of the milk has been absorbed. This will take about 1½ hours.
- Serve at once with a spoonful of fruit compote, dollop of jam or even some dairy-free cream.
**Always check the ingredients of any food you’re cooking with to make sure it doesn’t contain something you or your child should avoid.