This recipe from Sarah’s mother has become a favourite in The Allergy Team’s households! It is a crowd-pleaser and a great standby supper that’s comforting and budget-friendly.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 small red onions, chopped
6 pork sausages
1 ½ tbsp chopped rosemary (dried is fine)
2 bay leaves
1-2 tsp dried red chilli flakes, to taste
2 x tins chopped tomatoes
Salt and pepper
350 – 400 g penne
1. In a frying pan, heat the oil and fry the onion until soft and light brown.
2. Squeeze the sausage meat from the skins into pieces about the size of a 50p piece.
3. Add the sausage pieces, rosemary, bay leaves, and chilli.
4. Fry together over a highish heat, stirring to slightly mash and brown the sausages.
5. Reduce the heat, put the lid on and cook for 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the packet’s instructions.
7. Add the tomatoes to the sausage mixture and cook for 10 minutes.
8. Stir in the pasta and serve.
Team tip: use this as a base to add other vegetables too – for example, a handful of spinach at the end or some grated carrot when the onion is cooking.
Team tip: you can also use this sauce as the base for your own pizza. You may just need to cook it for a bit longer so that the sauce is less wet.
**Always check the ingredients of any food you’re cooking with to make sure it doesn’t contain something you or your child should avoid.