These make thick American-style pancakes as opposed to the French crepes. They are a good base for savoury additions. Sometimes I add some defrosted chopped spinach to make green pancakes, other times grated carrot, defrosted peas or slices of spring onion.
Makes about 10.
- 250g tin of sweetcorn
- 35g spinach (optional)
- 150g plain or gluten-free flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil and more for the pan
- 150ml oat milk
- Drain the sweetcorn and spinach if you’re using it and whizz up in a processor.
- Mix the flour and baking powder together in a bowl. Add the pureed sweetcorn, vegetable oil and other additions you choose.
- Add the oat milk, seasoning and whisk together. It will create a thick batter.
- Heat a little small amount of vegetable oil in a frying pan on medium/high heat.
- Dot tablespoonfuls of the mixture around the pan.
- Flip the pancakes over when you see air bubbles popping on the surface and that the outsides are looking less glossy.
- You’ll need to do several batches. Serve immediately or keep warm in a low oven while you make the rest.
**Always check the ingredients of any food you’re cooking with to make sure it doesn’t contain something you or your child should avoid.